ESL Speaking Class Overview
By the end of this week, you should:
- be signed up for the online listening lessons
- have a reading book and start reading
MON-TU Pair Work Vocabulary (15)
This conversation and vocabulary worksheet has words which might look similar but have different meanings.
- Work with a partner and explain the differences between the words.
- Make examples for each sentence.
- Click here for the worksheet
THUR-FRI Pair Work Vocabulary (15)
This activity helps you practice a basic conversation. Practice YES-NO questions.
Read the slide show.
Book report (10)
This slide show explains the book report. Please note the due data and late penalties.
- write on paper (no email)
- give to me in class (not after class)
- hand in early is OK
- late gets a 25% penalty for each 24 hours
State Verbs (15)
Look at this slide show.
Textbook – online resources (5)
Go online to get the listening resources for the textbook.
- sign up for an account
Book, 1b, page 10 (10)
- read the quiz and circle the answer
- check unknown words
- listen to quiz – track 4
- answer questions at bottom
Book, page 11, #2 (10)
- fill in blanks for 10 short sentences
- describe the difference between words in groups
- give 3 examples for each word of the 10 words
Book, page 11, #4 (5)
- For Thur-Fri bike story
- Read the text
- Check unknown words
- listen to the audio – track 5
Book, page 12, 1c (10)
Pair work reading
- Work with a partner. Each person reads one short story (sneakers or sunglasses).
- Retell the story with as much detail as possible. Partner asks 3-5 questions.
- Switch roles.
- Answer C and D at
- listen to both stories with this audio file
Book, page 13, #2a (10)
Book page 13, 5 Speaking (5)
Ask partner questions and have a short conversation about clothes.
- Say the word for each material.
- Match the object and material.
- Explain where the material comes from.
- Say 2 more things made from each material.
Partner Q&A (15)
Make questions and have a conversation with your partner. For example:
- Have you ever been to another country?
- Yes, I have.
- Where did you go?
- I went to Japan and Thailand.
- Who did you go with?
- I went with my friend.
Have you ever …
- break up with a partner
- climb a mountain
- eat strange food
- sleep in a tent
- have stitches
- bite by an animal
Make a story (20)
Look at your picture. You and your partner. Put the pictures in the right order.
- Write 1 or 2 sentences for each picture.
- The hard part is using good verbs to describe the action.
- Find a new partner and tell the story.
- Then listen to your partner’s story. Ask 3 questions.
Back Up (10)
- What’s the thing?
- Get the worksheet here.
Monday Back Up (15)
Here is an exercise that requires imagination and creativity. This is a lesson that was used by a business professor class in California.
- You and your partner have 5000 won.
- Think of ways you can make as much money as possible in two hours.