- look at syllabus
- end of module presentation
- talking, thinking, critical reading
Argument Overview (10)
Let’s spend a few minutes learning one sentence pattern.
Worksheet 1: What is an argument? (30)
- handout worksheet: Critical Thinking 1
- Practice 1, 2, 3, 4 (20)
- family picture
Practice Analysis (15)
Here are a couple of advertisements.
- Watch critically.
- Summarize the argument in each advertisement using the sentence pattern we learned.
Adopt a Dog
What’s a hypothesis? (15)
Do a practice exercise.
Read critically (20)
Read an article. It’s shortened.
Read critically. That means you want to understand the writer’s argument and proof.
The first article is Art of Failure by Malcolm Gladwell.
- What is the article about? (subject material)
- What are two key terms in the article.
- Name type hypotheses from the article.
- What is the main argument? (sentence pattern)
- Do your agree with the idea? Why or why not?
- Does this idea have any connection to your professional environment?